[gtu-list] Centering Prayer Workshop - January 8, 2011 - at ABSW

List for GTU students, faculty, staff, alumni, & friends gtu-list at lists.gtulink.edu
Fri Dec 17 15:05:43 PST 2010

Centering Prayer Introductory Workshop
Rediscovering Christian Meditation
This workshop will be taught in Korean.  Please see attached flyers.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 ~ 9:00 am—3:00 pm
@ the American Baptist Seminary of the West, Berkeley, CA

Are you interested in learning how to quiet your mind and how to become more
centered in your daily life? Grounded in 16 centuries of Christian
tradition, this prayer helps us bring our whole being to God beyond word,
thoughts, and images. In Centering Prayer, we express our yearning to know
God directly and intimately. This introduction to Centering Prayer includes
both instruction and practice in meditation techniques that foster
contemplative prayer and practice in your everyday life. During each session
there will be a period of Centering Prayer followed by group discussion and
questions.

Centering Prayer is a method of prayer which prepares us to receive the gift
of God’s presence, which was traditionally called contemplative prayer.
Contemplative prayer is the opening of mind and heart—our whole being—to
God, the Ultimate Mystery, beyond thoughts, words and emotions. Centering
Prayer facilitates the movement from more active modes of prayer–verbal,
mental, or affective prayer–into a receptive prayer of resting in God. It
emphasizes prayer as a personal relationship with God.

Suggested Book (not required): Open Mind Open Heart, by Thomas Keating

Cost: $15 if registered and paid by Monday, Jan. 3; $20 at the door
Total cost for those desiring .5 CEU credits is $53
Cost includes lunch.

Led by Hee-Soon Kwon, Ph. D., an ordained Methodist pastor, retreat leader,
psychologist, practicing Centering Pray for many years. She was a professor
at Methodist Theological University in Seoul, Korea. She has written many
articles and translated a few books related to this field into Korean. She
holds a Master of Counseling Psychology & Ph. D in Transpersonal Psychology.

“Silence is the first Language of God, Others are only Poor Translation” by
Meister Eckhart

To register send to: “Attn: Blake Horridge, ABSW, 2606 Dwight Way, Berkeley,
CA 94704”

Full Name: ___________________________________________
Address:_____________________________________________
City/St:__________________Zip:_________
Email Address: _______________________________________ Phone:
Date: ________________ Amount Paid: ________________ (Check or money order
payable to: “ABSW”)

American Baptist Seminary of the West
Dr. Paul M. Martin, President
2606 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Ph: 510.841.1905; Fx: 510.841.2446
www.absw.edu

Questions can be directed to: Blake Horridge
510.841.1905 x237 or bhorridge at absw.edu