[gtu-list] "poetry as spiritual practice' workshop this Saturday

Summer Session summersession at psr.edu
Mon Aug 1 10:09:15 PDT 2011

[Graphic-for-Emails.jpg]<http://www.psr.edu/summer>
Saturday Workshop: Poetry as a Spiritual Practice

Instructor: Christina Hutchins<http://www.psr.edu/summer-session-2011-instructors#hutchins>
Dates and Times: Saturday, August 6; 10am - 4pm
Description: During the first month after the Twin Towers fell, nearly a decade ago, usually-obscure books of poetry rose to the tops of bestseller lists across the country. When we memorialize the living and dying of another beloved life, when we celebrate human birth, when a relationship fails or we fall in love, and even when we are lost to ourselves, we turn to poetry for nourishment, as a mode of sustenance that honors both the beauty and the tragedy of felt living. Poems provide comfort, joy and succor for the wild motions of our souls. Poetry is for human spirits. Poetry is also of human spirits, and the making of poems can open us and free us into the flow of the Spirit.

This is a workshop for everyone who wants to spend an intense day creating new poems. Both utter beginners and advanced, published poets are invited to simultaneously develop the craft of poetry and deepen connections with the Spirit. We will spend the day loving language and loving the holy, and immersed in the flow of poems. The poetry of others will become part of us, and our own new poems will come into existence as we are gathered.
Course Credits & Cost: 0.5 CEUs - $80
Course Number: RA-0002 (CEUs)
Registration: (print step-by-step instructions<http://www.psr.edu/files_psr/CEWebAdvisorSteps2011-03-15.pdf>) Registration<http://tinyurl.com/PSR-reg-CE>
Register by Tuesday to ensure a space!

http://www.psr.edu/summer-session-2011-workshops

Laurie Isenberg
Director of Community & Continuing Education
Pacific School of Religion
1798 Scenic Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94709
510-849-8227 | lisenberg at psr.edu
http://www.psr.edu<http://www.psr.edu/>/

PSR's Summer Session runs July 5-August 12
Registration and information at http://www.psr.edu/summer