[gtu-list] SAVE THE DATE: The Axis of Friendship international friendship and peace gathering on the evening of Sept. 11, 2011

Gabriella Lettini glettini at sksm.edu
Sat Aug 6 16:20:46 PDT 2011

SAVE THE DATE: The Axis of Friendship  international friendship and peace gathering on the evening of Sept. 11, 2011
On behalf of the planning committee of the Axis of Friendship, we are pleased to invite you attend an international friendship and peace gathering on the evening of Sept. 11, 2011, the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks of 9/11. In honor of the world's support and solidarity with all who suffered losses, we are holding the event from 4:00 until 7:00 pm at the Oakland Peace Center, 111 Fairmount Ave, just off Broadway and 29th St. The event will support greater cross-cultural understanding and friendship in the East Bay. There will be food, entertainment, activities, music, dancing, and inspiring speakers. Children are welcome.
Our hope is to offer opportunities to deepen friendships in the face of those who have used 9/11 to stir up Islamophobia, war, and enmity among peoples living as neighbors in this country.
Please come with friends and families. If you want to involve any organization or community you belong to, we welcome their participation in the festival in one or more of several ways:
1.   -   Help us promote the event in your community and urge members to attend. This is a friendship festival: the more the better!
2.     - Have representatives to host a table at the event with information about your organization
3.     - Plan a festival activity that attendees can participate in, perform live music sometime during the event, and/or provide food from your culture to share.
4.     - Contribute financially to help with costs for preparation, supplies, and promotion of the event in local papers.
- This event is part of an annual series called the Axis of Friendship that began on September 12, 2008, when the U.S. Congress was considering voting an act of war against Iran.
The founders were inspired by the 10,000 people in Tehran who stood with candles in the streets of the city on Sept 12, 2001 to express sorrow and solidarity with the victims of 9/11, as well as the many people around the world who, after the attacks, sent prayers, letters, people, and other support. Though the Axis of Evil was invented months later as a pretext for war, the true Axis of Friendship was revealed in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.
Please do not hesitate to Rita Nakashima Brock (ritabrock at sbcglobal.net<mailto:ritabrock at sbcglobal.net>) or Gabriella Lettini (glettini at sksm.edu<mailto:glettini at sksm.edu>)   if you have any questions or to get involved. We hope you can join us in building greater community ties of friendship and nonviolence.
Regards,

Gabriella

Gabriella Lettini, Ph.D.
Aurelia Henry Reinhardt Director of Studies in Public Ministry
Associate Professor of Theological Ethics Starr King School for the Ministry - Graduate Theological Union
2441 Le Conte Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94709-1209
Tel.: 510-549-4714
Fax: 510-845-6273