[gtu-list] Caring and the Spiritual Life: new SKSM class by renown scholar and activist Dr. Charlie Garfield

Gabriella Lettini glettini at sksm.edu
Wed Aug 24 12:50:30 PDT 2011

NEW SKSM CLASS!

Caring and the Spiritual Life
2:10 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Thursdays
Charles Garfield
Fireside Room
[garfield_Charles 1582]Charles Garfield, Ph.D. is a Clinical Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychiatry; University of California Medical School; Founder, Shanti and Shanti National Training Institute; Instructor, C.G. Jung Institute of San Francisco; founding faculty, Metta Institute End of Life Counseling program;  mathematician, Apollo Eleven first lunar landing; ten books published including Sometimes My Heart Goes Numb: Love and Caregiving in a Time of AIDS (with C. Spring); WISDOM CIRCLES: A Guide to Self Discovery and Community Building in Small Groups (with C. Spring), the PEAK PERFORMANCE trilogy.

Renowned psychiatrist C. G. Jung demonstrated in his practice that "healing a soul in crisis is an art requiring empathy, patience, a shrewd yet sympathetic understanding of human nature and, above all, heart." The "broken heart" is not just an evocative image, but also a spiritual, psychological and medical reality. In our fragmented society, the lack of human companionship is one of the leading causes of illness and premature death. Every year, tens of thousands die, quite literally, of a broken heart. This course will focus on: how a caring presence is central to the healing process; arousing empathy, the heart of connection, as central to ministering to the lost, lonely, sick, bereaved, and brokenhearted; identifying the motivations, risks, and rewards of entering into a close relationship with the frail elderly, poor, homeless, abused, chronically ill, or those at the end of life.  In addition, we will ask: How can we develop empathy, the capacity to see, hear, and feel a situation from another person's vantage point? Can those in religious life honestly claim to know another person's suffering? Why do we enter into - or sometimes resist - solidarity with those in the grip of suffering?

SPPS 4319    3 Units
Minimum 12  Limit 20             PIN Required: No

For information on Registration, please visit: http://www.sksm.edu/academics/fall_2011.php

Regards,

Gabriella

Gabriella Lettini, Ph.D.
Aurelia Henry Reinhardt Director of Studies in Public Ministry
Associate Professor of Theological Ethics Starr King School for the Ministry - Graduate Theological Union
2441 Le Conte Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94709-1209
Tel.: 510-549-4714
Fax: 510-845-6273