[gtu-list] AAR/SBL conference and boycotted hotel

Gabriella Lettini glettini at sksm.edu
Tue Mar 20 20:34:20 PDT 2012

Dear fellow members of the American Academy of Religion and Society of Biblical Literature,

As you know, we are meeting in Chicago this year at the McCormick Place Convention Center and there are room blocks at many hotels in the city.

We are asking you to honor the workers* boycott of Hyatt Hotels by refusing to stay, or enter, or spend money at the Hyatt Regency or the Hyatt McCormick Place hotels. The workers at  Hyatt have asked customers to boycott these hotels until they have achieved justice.  You can honor the boycott and attend the convention so long as you do not enter a Hyatt hotel.  This will mean forgoing any sessions or interviews scheduled at Hyatt.

Please sign this petition asking the AAR and SBL to pull its business from the Hyatt hotels.  Scholars should not be put in the position of having to violate a boycott in order to attend sessions and interviews.

Please also commit to honoring the boycott yourself and send in your signature on this petition before the board meets on April 20.

In order to sign the petition, send an email with your name, title and institution (for identification purposes only) to Ross Hyman at rhyman at aflcio.org<mailto:rhyman at aflcio.org>.

Please forward this on to your AAR and SBL contacts. Thank you.

Regards,

Gabriella

Gabriella Lettini, Ph.D.
Dean of Faculty
Aurelia Henry Reinhardt Professor of Theological Ethics
and Director of Studies in Public Ministry
Starr King School for the Ministry - Graduate Theological Union
2441 Le Conte Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94709-1209
Tel.: 510-549-4714
Fax: 510-845-6273